Civil Traffic Court Information

Civil traffic complaint citations issued by the Tucson Police Department are handled in Tucson City Court. Listed below are options available to resolve your traffic court case.


Responsible Plea

The word "responsible" is used with civil traffic and civil infractions while the word "guilty" is used with criminal violations. A responsible plea is admitting you agree with the citation issued to you.


Fine payment: Pay the amount of the sanction/fine by mail or in person on or before your court date, unless otherwise stated on the information envelope given to you by the police officer. If you did not receive an information envelope, you can view the Civil Traffic Bond Card online. To pay your sanction/fine by credit card, call (520) 791-4216. Refer to the How To Make Fine Payments section for additional information.Defensive Driving School: Arizona statutes allow you to remove one traffic violation from your record by completing a defensive driving class, if you are eligible. Refer to the How to Sign Up for Defensive Driving School section for additional information.


Community Service: This option is available in lieu of fine payment for civil traffic citations, except insurance and registration (28-2532A) citations. You must appear in court to obtain information for this option.


Not Responsible Plea

If you select this option, it means that you wish to contest the citation issued to you before a judge.


Note: Setting a hearing means you lose your privilege to attend Defensive Driving School.


If you request a hearing, it will be scheduled about three weeks from the date your request was received. On the date of your hearing, your name will be posted on a court calendar located in the courtyard of Tucson City Court. Please find your name on the list to determine the location of your court hearing. It is recommended to appear at Court at least fifteen minutes before your hearing time to allow time to find the courtroom for your hearing. If you are unable to locate your name on the court calendar, check-in at the information counter in the Public Services lobby to obtain further instructions. For postponement of your court hearing, refer to the Motions-Pro Se section.


You have the option to be represented by an attorney or you may present your own case at your hearing. If you decide to have an attorney represent you, you must notify the Court, in writing, ten days prior to your hearing. You cannot be represented by someone who is not an attorney. Juveniles are required to bring a parent or guardian to court.


Failure to appear in court or to respond by mail on or before your court date will result in suspension of your driving privilege. The Court will notify the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicle Department of failure to respond to your traffic citation.